COVID-19 PRACTICES at WLMS/SGA for 20-21 School Year
These are unprecedented days. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, school procedures will look much different than in the past. Please follow these guidelines to help ensure the safety of our students.
- Temperature will be taken when students enter the building from the bus. Car riders’ temperatures will be taken before they enter the building. Students who register a temperature of 100º or higher will be isolated. Their temperature will be rechecked after 10 minutes. If their temperature is below 100º, students will be allowed to return to class. Otherwise, parents will be required to pick up students. It is recommended that parents check temperature before allowing students to board the bus or leave home.
- Practice the 3 Ws: Wash your hands, Wear your mask, Watch your distance. Masks are required on the bus and in the building when social distancing is not possible.
- Students who are bus riders will grab breakfast and report directly to homeroom. Students who are car riders will gather in the cafeteria, grab a breakfast, and be released to their homeroom in phases.
- Students will be assigned a desk number by homeroom teachers, this will be the desk number the students will sit in during all academic classes. In the event a student tests positive for COVID-19, any student /staff who was within six feet of the positive case for a total of fifteen minutes (cumulative) will be required to quarantine for fourteen school days. Students who are quarantined will be allowed to complete assignments via Google Classroom and will not be counted absent. Parents will be notified via letter and a phone call from administration.
- Connections teachers will also be assigning seats and assisting with tracking of students in their classes.
- Clean your desks at the beginning of every class period with the wipe provided by your teacher. First period classes will not be required to clean desks because classrooms will be fogged every evening.
- Lockers will not be used. Students are responsible for having all required materials for class in their book bags.
- Calculators and Chromebooks will be assigned to students. Students are responsible for keeping up with these devices. Chromebooks should be charged at home and ready to use during the school day. We will not have extra chargers for the students to use at school We recommend students purchase individual earphones/earbuds that are compatible with Chromebooks. The calculators we use are TI-30Xs Multiview if students want to purchase their own calculator. Students who do not bring calculators and Chromebooks (charged and ready for use) may be assigned break detention.
- Walk on the right side of the hallway. Students should not gather in groups between classes.
- Keep your distance at break. For morning break, only 2-3 classes will be allowed to break at one time in one place. Students are encouraged to stand at a distance from each other and socialize during this time. There will be no “playing” during this time. Afternoon breaks will be in the classroom. Students will be expected to social distance as much as possible during this time.
- Restrooms will be closed during break and lunch. Students will be given restroom breaks during the school day (about every 2 hours). If students need to use the restroom at other times during the day, they must ask for permission from their teachers.
- Water fountains will be closed. Water filling stations will be implemented. Students are encouraged to bring water bottles from home or purchase them from vending machines. All drinks should be in closed containers.
- Parents will not be allowed to bring food to students. Students must bring their lunch from home or eat the school provided lunch. There are no microwaves for student use.
- Students will sit by class in assigned seats at lunch. Students will be as spread out as possible. Some classes will sit at tables in main hall.
- All cafeteria foods will be pre-packaged so students will not be required to self-serve.
- Cell phones are not permitted during the school day (from 7:50 am to 3:05 pm) unless they are being used at teachers’ direction for class assignments.
- All teachers will be utilizing Google Classroom. If students are absent from class, they can access assignments through this medium. Students will be expected to complete make-up work within 3 days of returning to school for the first missed day with extra time for additional days. For extended absences due to quarantine, students will have up to seven school days after returning to school to complete missing assignments. We recommend students who are quarantined, but not sick, work on assignments daily. Students who do not complete makeup assignments during the allotted time will receive a zero. Teachers are not required to permit make up work during regular class time. Teachers may use a code (M) in ASPEN to indicate missing assignments. This is a way for teachers to monitor missing work and will be replaced with a grade as soon as the work is completed and scored.